Breastplate of Righteousness
Hello ladies, I pray that your week has been a great one. This new series is one that must be put into action. As fellow soldiers with Christ, we have to make sure that we are fully armored as we journey through this life. In order for us to be real life Wonder Women, we have to be ready for battle. As challenges arise and the enemy tries to knock us down, it is important that we have the armor on that is necessary for our victory instead of defeat. The first piece of armor was the "Belt of Truth," and today we are going to look at the next piece of armor, the "Breastplate of Righteousness."
Righteous- acting in an upright, moral way; virtuous
- God calls for us to walk uprightly. There are blessings that come from righteous living.
- Psalm 84:11, "For the LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD gives grace and glory; No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly."
Breastplate- the piece of armor that covers the torso area of the body, which covers two major organs: heart and lungs.
- Roman Soldiers- The breastplate was a central part of the Roman soldier's armor—it provided protection for the torso, which contains vital organs like the heart, lungs and so on. Without a breastplate, a soldier would be asking for death, as any attack could instantly become fatal. With a sturdy breastplate, the very same attacks become ineffective and useless, as blows glance off the armor. (http://www.freebiblestudyguides.org/bible-teachings/armor-of-god-breastplate-of-righteousness.htm)
Therefore, this armor is extremely important. So, why does the Word say we should have a breastplate of righteousness? More specifically, why is it important to cover these vital organs, the heart and the lungs, with righteousness?
Since righteousness represents acting in an upright, moral, or virtuous way, I want us to look at scriptures that point out the necessity of the Breastplate of Righteousness dealing with the heart and our breath.
Matthew 6:20-21, "20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
- God desires for you to focus on Him because if you have your focal point on anything but Him, you will find yourself in chains of bondage, taunted by confusion, living beneath promise, doubting your purpose, and plagued with fear. If your heart is not fixed on God, it can be tainted, broken, and stained by so many other things. You don't want to be lead by a heart filled with mess, you wanted to be guided by means of righteousness by the Holy Spirit.
Proverbs 4:23, "23. Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it."
- This verse reveals the need to guard your heart because "everything flows from it." If your heart is not protected with righteousness and it becomes led by something else, you will find everything in your life beginning to change and led by this other thing. You can be led by the need for love, bitterness, anger, fear, worry, insecurities, pain, or even uncertainty. Instead, you need to let the standards of God be your guide in this life. His word teaches you how to live, how to believe, how to act and respond, and how to treat others. The heart must remain pure because sin gives the enemy access to attack you outside of the protection of the Father.
Genesis 2:7, "Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being."
- The fact that you are alive today means that there is purpose on the inside of you. You have to let everything that you do in this life bring Glory to God. If the enemy could have his way, you would not be breathing right now. With this breath in your body, make everyday count.
Job 27:3-6, "3. All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils; 4. My lips shall not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit. 5. God forbid that I should justify you: till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me. 6. My righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go: my heart shall not reproach me so long as I live." - This is an excerpt from Job. This man lost his kids, his wealth, his wife, and his health. He went through so much; nevertheless, he came out victoriously. Here he is making a declaration of how he will choose to go on after several chapters of talking to God trying to figure out why, God responds, and Job states that he will hold fast to Righteousness. Then, God allows Job to recover everything he lost. WOW! This shows that in the midst of challenges if you hold on to righteousness, you can expect to come out victoriously with God on your side.
As we fight these spiritual battles, it is important to have the breastplate of righteousness. There will be temptations presented to you by the devil to choose another path outside of God's will for your life but don't. Protect your heart and the life you have been given to live out purpose by having your armor of righteousness on at all times. No matter how difficult life gets, how uncertain things become, or how much you want to reach that dream or goal, do it with God and not without Him. You are ordained to win, so don't compromise yourself or your salvation. Let Righteousness be the piece of armor that puts you in position to be led by God. Let Righteousness be that piece of armor that keeps you in the will and plan of God for your life. Finally, understand that righteousness is not that of your own power but of the Holy Spirit. In order for you to be a Wonder Woman in this life, you must allow righteousness to keep you connected to the God who enables you to walk in power and victory. Remember whose side you are on and don't let anything sway you another way.
Stay Armor Strong! Keep on your Breastplate of Righteousness.